US, Japan, South Korea vow tough response to N Korea’s H-bomb test

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 08 Jan 2016 10:29:34

WASHINGTON, Jan 7 (PTI)

THE US, Japan and South Korea have decided to launch a united and strong global response to North Korea’s latest reckless behaviour after the reclusive nation claimed that it has successfully conducted first hydrogen bomb test.
US President Barack Obama made separate phone calls to his South Korean counterpart Park Geun-Hye and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to discuss with them the security situation in the region following North Korea’s test.
“All the three leaders reiterated their pledge to forge a united and strong international response to North Korea’s latest reckless behaviour,” the White House said.
“Obama reaffirmed the unshakable US commitment to the security of Japan, and the two leaders agreed to work together to forge a united and strong international response to North Korea’s latest reckless behaviour,” the White House said after Obama’s phone call to Abe.
During the phone call between Obama and Park, the two leaders condemned the test and agreed that North Korea’s actions constitute yet another violation of its obligations and commitments under international law, including several UN Security Council resolutions. Secretary of State John Kerry also reached out to his Japanese and South Korean counterparts to discuss with them the North Korean nuclear test.
In his phone call to Japanese Foreign Minister Kishida, Kerry reiterated the steadfast commitment of the US to the security of Japan and emphasised the importance of a unified international response to the South Korean provocative actions.
“He also emphasised the importance of continued close bilateral cooperation with Japan and trilateral coordination with the Republic of Korea,” State Department spokesman John Kirby said.
In his phone call to South Korean Foreign Minister Yun, Kerry reiterated the steadfast commitment of the US to the security of South Korea and emphasised the need for a unified international response to North Korea’s provocative actions, Kirby said.
Meanwhile, the UN Security Council in an emergency session warned North Korea of fresh sanctions and strongly condemning Pyongyang’s action as a “clear threat” to international peace and security. The 15-nation Security Council, including China, held urgent consultations to address the “serious” situation arising from the nuclear test conducted by North Korea.
The Council members had previously said that they will take “further significant measures” against North Korea if it conducted another nuclear and vowed to take additional measures.

UNSC holds urgent consultations

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 7 (PTI)


THE UN Security Council on Thursday warned that it will impose new sanctions against North Korea after it carried out hydrogen bomb test with the world body strongly condemning Pyongyang’s action as a “clear threat” to international peace and security.
The 15-nation Security Council, including China, held urgent consultations here to address the “serious” situation arising from the nuclear test conducted by North Korea.
The Council members had previously said that they will take “further significant measures” against North Korea if it conducted another nuclear and vowed to take additional measures. “In line with this commitment and the gravity of this violation, the members of the Security Council will begin to work immediately on such measures in a new Security Council resolution.
“The members of the Security Council strongly condemned this test, which is a clear violation of Security Council resolutions...And of the non-proliferation regime, and therefore a clear threat to international peace and security continues to exist,” it said.
Earlier, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon denounced North Korea’s nuclear test as
“deeply troubling” and “profoundly destabilising” for regional security as he called on Pyongyang to halt its nuclear programmes.