Istanbul nightclub attacker identified

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 05 Jan 2017 08:49:49


ISTANBUL,

Jan 4,

(AFP),

TURKISH authorities have identified the gunman responsible for the attack on an elite nightclub that killed 39 people, including two Indians, celebrating New Year, the Foreign Minister said on Wednesday.


“The identity of the person responsible for the Istanbul attack has been established,” Mevlut Cavusoglu told Anadolu news agency during a televised interview. He did not name the attacker or give any further details.
Turkish police detained at least five suspected Islamic State group militants believed to be linked to the attack, the state-run news agency reported. The assailant stormed the popular Reina nightclub on the Bosphorus and sprayed 120 bullets at terrified partygoers celebrating the start of 2017 on Sunday. Of the 39 dead, 27 were foreigners including
citizens from Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, Tunisia and Morocco.


The Islamic State claimed the massacre on Monday, the first time it has produced such a claim for a mass attack in Turkey. Since escaping from the club, the gunman has been on the run although authorities previously said they were seeking a suspected jihadist from Central Asia, reportedly from Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan.