Footwear stock worth over Rs 3 lakh gutted in fire in godown

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 17 Mar 2017 11:44:48


Staff Reporter,

Colossal stock of footwear worth over Rs 3 lakh was gutted in fire that broke out at a godown situated in Saraswati Colony under the jurisdiction of Kotwali Police Station on Thursday morning. The reason behind the incident could not be known.
Spokesman, Fire Department of Jabalpur Municipal Corporation (JMC) informed that a big portion of the house of Virendra Gyanchandani was used as godown. Huge stock of footwear of branded companies were stored in the godown. At about 8.30 am, some passersby saw fumes billowing out of the godown. They informed Gyanchandani about the happening. Meanwhile, people also informed Fire Department about the incident. When the house owner opened the godown, he saw entire stock of footwear engulfed in fire. Huge flames were billowing out of the godown.


After getting the information, the Fire Department rushed two fire tenders to the site to douse the fire. Within few minutes, fire fighters reached the spot and battled with fire for at least an hour to douse it completely. The prompt action of fire fighters saved a huge stock of footwear from damage. Despite this, footwear stock worth Rs 3 lakh was gutted in the fire.


This is not the first incident, which occurred in residential area of the city. In the past also, many such incidents occurred when godowns of grocery items, oil, paints and other such inflammable goods caught fire. Presence of such godowns in residential areas indicate sheer negligence of JMC and district administration, which are allowing businessmen to operate warehouse, godowns in densely populated localities of the city.
Despite many such incidents, the concerned authorities are taking no lessons and allowing businessmen to play with the life of denizens. The local administration must direct concerned people to shift godown from residential areas immediately.