Goods worth Rs 10 lakh gutted at carpet shop

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 05 May 2017 11:14:42


Staff Reporter,

Goods worth Rs 10 lakh were reduced to ashes after a major fire broke out at a carpet shop located at Bhopal talkies square under Shahjehanabad police station area in the morning on Thursday.


A massive fire broke out in the morning at Gauri carpet shop at around 9 am which spread rapidly and gutted goods inside the shop. The locals spotted smoke oozing out of the shop after which the owner and fire brigade were informed. In-charge officer of fire brigade Akhtar Ali said that the fire broke out in the back side of the store and information of fire was received at around 9.40 am and fire tenders from Fatehgarh, Pul Bogda, Chhola and Govindpura were pressed into service. The shop is located in densely populated place therefore as soon as the people spotted fire flames emitting from the shop, they immediately informed fire brigade.

The owner of the shop Mohammad Hazi Zafar was not able to provide the estimated loss as he had not checked the remaining goods left in the fire. It is suspected that someone has set the shop ablaze but it could not be ascertained and police investigation could reveal the reason of the fire, he added.

It took around an hour for over a dozen fire tender vehicles to control the fire. The adjacent shop was not damaged as the fire was controlled before it could spread in the adjacent shop. Gauri Carpet used to sell carpets, mats, foam, clothes, wooden showcases and decorative items all of which were highly flammable. The fire spread rapidly engulfing the goods.

The loss would be around Rs 10 lakh in which several rolls of carpet of vinyl were gutted in fire. Ahead of Ramzan festival, looking after the demands of buyers, the shop owner had kept stock of carpets. Police and fire tender officials were not able to provide the reason of breaking of fire but as high tension electricity supply line is passing from near the shop therefore short circuit due to sparking in these lines is assumed to a reason behind fire. In the incident no casualty has been reported and as the shop was closed no one was injured in the incident.