CAREER HELPLINE by Poonam Menaria

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 09 May 2017 15:30:46

Q1: I am in Class XI. I want to join the merchant navy as a marine engineer. How should I go about it? --Hitesh

A: Dear Hitesh, Merchant navy has two branches — navigation and marine engineering. If you have 60 per cent in PCM in Class XII, you can sit for an entrance exam to join the four-year engineering course leading to bachelor’s degree in marine engineering. It’s wise to choose a programme that is accredited to the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).

Indian Maritime University ( offers several courses; including a marine engineering programme and introducing 3 new programmes from July 2017 that includes BBA (Logistics, Retailing & E-Commerce), M.Sc. (Commercial Shipping & Logistics), M.Tech (Marine Technology & Management. MERI, Mumbai, is prestigious institution including many other like Chennai, Kochi, Kolkata etc in this area under IMU ( which offers several related programmes and many more(visit the site for details).

Apart from academics, your eyesight plays an important role in merchant navy. Check up for details while visiting the websites of all the major institution applying for.
Also, life at sea is hard and challenging, so you should be physically and mentally strong to survive in the merchant navy. Readiness to accept challenges and the ability to work hard are a necessity.

Job opportunities exist in both private and public sector shipping companies. After some years at sea, you can also work as a nautical surveyor or nautical advisor. Also, there is scope for starting your own consulting service, setting up operations to handle loading and unloading of ships or running a cargo-booking agency also may be feasible options at later stages. Best Wishes!!

Q2: Hello ma'am, I have appeared for class Xth (C.B.S.E) exam. I like human behavior. I am confused whether I should be a psychologist or psychiatrist. What are the qualifications for these two fields? How should I proceed further? Which entrance exams should I give? --Niti

Hi Niti, Psychology is the study of human mind and human behavior and help people deal with mental and emotional health. Psychiatry is a specialization within medicine in which you get trained to study, diagnose and treat mental disorders at organic level. PCB at 12th is the choice to crack the entrance exams like AIPMT/State PMT/NEET etc for an undergraduate degree in medicine (MBBS) followed by specialization in Psychiatry.

Biology and chemistry are the key subjects if you wish to pursue medicine. You could also graduate in psychology and then specialise in counselling or clinical psychology etc. You will need excellent communication skills, empathy and great listening skills.

For being a Psychologist, after class XII (any subject/ preferably humanities), you need to pursue graduation in psychology. Options are a BA (Hons)/ BA /B.Sc. with Psychology as one of the subjects. Specializations in the subject can be pursued at the postgraduate level.

Careers in the field of psychology include various specializations Viz. Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology, Educational Psychology, Child Psychology, Human Resource and Organisation Development, among others. Depending on your interests you may choose to specialise in Clinical, Industrial, Social Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Neuro Psychology, Organization Behaviour, Personal Counselling, Child Psychology, Educational Psychology and Psychometrics, and Forensic Psychology etc. These specializations are typically offered in MA / M.Sc. courses, for which the eligibility in most cases is a Bachelors in Psychology.

Most universities in the different cities offer courses in Psychology at the Bachelors and Masters levels and few of the leading Institute being TISS, NIMHANS, University of Delhi, Christ College, Bangalore and many others. Each route has its own scope and rewards; choice is entirely personal based on your interest, abilities, aptitude and readiness for sincere efforts. Best wishes.