Goods worth crores gutted in godown

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 12 Jun 2017 11:58:09


 

Staff Reporter,


The fire broke out due to short circuit at a godown of Ondoor, an online grocery shopping distribution company in Bharat Nagar area at JK Road, Piplani in the early morning hours of Sunday.

Panic prevailed among the residents of the area after explosions were heard one after another at a godown filled with grocery and edible oil plastic cans

Goods worth crores of rupees were gutted in a massive fire, which broke out due to short circuit at a godown of Ondoor, a distribution online grocery shopping company in Bharat Nagar area at JK Road, Piplani in the early morning hours of Sunday. The intensity of inferno could be gauged from the fact that huge fire flames and thick smoke were witnessed from distant areas.


Panic prevailed among the residents of the area after explosions were heard one after another at a warehouse (godown) filled with grocery and edible oil plastic cans. Panicky on the explosions, locals informed police and fire brigade respectively. On the receipt of the information, fire tender vehicles were rushed to the spot and started controlling the fire. Meanwhile, after getting information regarding the massive fire, police personnel from Govindpura and Ashoka Garden police stations reached the spot.


More than a dozen BMC fire tender vehicles from Chhola Mandir, Bairagarh, Misrod, Govindpura, Pul Bogda and Fatehgarh as well as BHEL were pressed into service and it took more than six hours to douse the fire. Fire in-charge official Ashar Ali said that the fire, which broke out at around 5.40 in the morning, was controlled and extinguished at around 11 am. The godown was filled with grocery goods and huge quantity of different cooking oils were also present, which aided in the spreading of the fire and it took a massive shape. The products were packed in plastic containers and plastic bottles, which further increased the fire. The auto-rickshaws parked inside the premises were also gutted in fire.


The residents, including patients, elder persons and children of the adjacent areas, reported problems due to suffocation and were evacuated, he added.


Sub-Inspector (Piplani) S K S Chouhan said that Ondoor online shopping company General Manager, Rajesh Subramaniam said that on Saturday night, around 10 pm, employees closed the shutter of the warehouse and on Sunday, around 5:40 am, the security personnel of the godown spotted the fire after which they informed its in-charge Amar Taleja at around 5:45 am, who immediately reached the spot and spotted the firemen trying to douse the fire.


However, till the fire could be doused completely, goods worth Rs 3 crore turned into ashes, claimed GM Rajesh Subramaniam. The loss could have exceeded if the fire had engulfed other parts of the warehouse and godown of IFB company situated nearby Ondoor warehouse. It was the main godown of the company and goods were transported to retail stores situated in the city.


Employees of Ondoor tried to control the fire, but the fire extinguishers were not enough to contain the massive fire.