Congress opposes ‘Indu Sarkar’, forces Bhandarkar to cancel event

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 17 Jul 2017 10:42:59

 


 

Staff Reporter,

Let senior Congress leaders see the movie and clear it, else we will not allow its release, warns Congress city president

Bhandarkar refutes the allegation that movie portrayed Congress leaders in poor light

Congress workers, on Sunday, raised slogans and staged demonstrations at the pre-decided venue of the press conference of National Award winning film-maker Madhur Bhandarkar and opposed his latest movie ‘Indu Sarkar’. Bhandarkar tried to change the venue of the press conference, but Congress workers forced it to be cancelled. Finally, Bhandarkar managed to speak to mediapersons at Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport, before leaving the city.


Ironically, even in staging opposition, groupism within Congress party was visible, as workers belonging to just one faction were present during entire drama where they adopted quite a belligerent stance against Bhandarkar.
Bhandarkar’s latest movie ‘Indu Sarkar’ is based on Emergency, an important chapter in India’s post-Independence history. He was in the city to promote the film. However, Congress workers led by Vikas Thakre, President of the party’s city unit, reached the restaurant along North Ambazari Road where Bhandarkar’s press conference was scheduled.


By that time, team of Ambazari Police also had reached the spot to maintain order. Congress workers raised slogans and staged demonstrations against Bhandarkar and alleged that the movie was ‘sponsored by Bharatiya Janata Party’.
As the Congress workers stayed put at the venue, Bhandarkar’s team changed the venue. Bhandarkar did not reach the spot and kept moving in the city. Journalists also kept running from one venue to another. Meanwhile, some Congress workers learnt that Bhandarkar had gone to a hotel along Wardha Road. They reached there, only to learn that he had left for the airport and had checked-in. After changing location several times, finally, Bhandarkar decided to go to the airport. He managed to talk to mediapersons there for a brief while before leaving the city.


Bhandarkar told the reporters that he had already tweeted to Rahul Gandhi, Vice-President of All India Congress Committee, with an appeal to protect his (Bhandarkar’s) freedom of expression. “Those opposing the movie should first watch it. The movie is 70 per cent fiction and 30 per cent real events. I am unable to understand why are Congress workers so agitated and afraid,” he said. To the allegation that ‘Indu Sarkar’ was ‘sponsored by BJP’, he said, “It is not so. Had it been so, I would have released it in 2019. Besides, I fail to understand why so much of opposition to the movie, when already there are a large number of books and dramas on Emergency,” he said. Further, he said, he would file an appeal against the cuts suggested by Censor Board.


When the journalists asked Vikas Thakre about the entire drama, he said that ‘Indu Sarkar’ movie must be first shown to senior leaders of Congress party. “If the party high-command clears the movie, we will not oppose it. However, till then, we will not let the movie be released either in Nagpur or anywhere else in Maharashtra,” he said. Umakant Agnihotri, another Congress leader, said, “Bhandarkar is reciprocating the favour of ‘Padmashree’ conferred upon him by the BJP-led Government, by way of making a movie that tries to malign the image of a tall leader like late Indira Gandhi. We will not tolerate this.”