7 held in Kerala RSS worker’s killing; another hurt in attack

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 31 Jul 2017 08:43:30



A DAY after an RSS worker was killed in Kerala, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan and Director General of Police Loknath Behera were on Sunday summoned by Governor P Sathasivam.
They apprised the Governor of the steps taken in connection with the brutal killing even as the police said seven persons were arrested.

In another incident, an RSS worker was injured on Sunnight when he was attacked by some unidentified persons at Pandalam in Pathanamthitta district, the police said.
The man, who received ‘minor injuries’, was taken to a hospital, they added. Vijayan and Behera met the Governor separately after they were summoned by the Raj Bhavan on Sunday morning to ascertain the action taken, following the recent violent incidents, including the killing of RSS worker Rajesh (34).

The State has been witnessing a cycle of violence involving the BJP-RSS and CPI(M) workers with the capital district rocked by incidents of attacks on houses of the rival partymen in the last few days.
The State BJP office was also vandalised on July 28.
Rajesh was hacked to death by a gang, allegedly led by a history-sheeter, here on Saturday night. His left arm was chopped off and there were several other injuries all over his body.

The police said seven persons, including prime accused Manikandan, the history-sheeter, had been arrested in connection with the killing of the RSS worker.
They added that the attack was due to a ‘personal enmity’ between Manikandan and the victim, which had been going on for the last one-and-a-half years.

In a related development, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to Vijayan, voiced concern over attacks on political workers in Kerala and said political violence was unacceptable in a democracy.

Meanwhile, the statewide dawn-to-dusk ‘hartal’ called by the BJP in protest against the killing of Rajesh evoked a near total response with state-run and private buses keeping off the roads and shops and business establishments remaining shut.

It by and large passed off peacefully, barring some minor incidents of stonepelting, destruction of flag masts and damage of vehicles.