Niekerk coasts, Frenchman Bosse’s 800m

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 10 Aug 2017 09:12:11


 

LONDON,

SOUTH African star Wayde van Niekerk is halfway to his target of the 400 metres and 200m world double after easing to victory in the former in London.


The 25-year-old’s task of landing both eased considerably with main rival Isaac Makwala of Botswana barred from running by the sport’s governing body because he had been diagnosed with the highly contagious norovirus on Tuesday.
It didn’t prevent the 30-year-old from turning up at the warm-up track only to be turned away. The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) said he should be in quarantine and not near the track.
“It was definitely a heartbreaking moment,” Van Niekerk said.


“I have a lot of sympathy for Isaac. It is quite disappointing. I would have liked him to have his opportunity. But this is sports, these things happen.”
Van Niekerk added that the double was not a given. It’s easier said than done,” he said. “It’s competition, it’s very unpredictable.
“My body still feels very good. It took me a while to recover tonight.


“But from endurance I go straight to speed tomorrow... It’s a day-by-day, step-by-step process for us athletes.”
Botswana suffered further disappointment as 800m race favourite Nijel Amos—second on the same track in the 2012 Olympic final—faded to finish fifth with Frenchman Pierre-Ambroise Bosse taking a deserved gold for a bold and brave performance which he revealed afterwards reflected his love of gambling.


“I am a gambler, I love going to the casino,” said Bosse.
“And today I just gambled, I put everything on the red, even my last Euro. So hopefully, this is also for luck in love.”
However, for his compatriot Renaud Lavillenie his world gold drought continued even in the stadium where he won Olympic gold in 2012.


The Frenchman had to settle for bronze—his fifth minor medal in the world championships—with American Sam Kendricks taking the title in front of his parents and girlfriend to boot.
Conselsus Kipruto maintained Kenya’s fine record in the men’s 3000 metres steeplechase winning in cheeky style from Morocco’s Soufiane El bakkali with long-time leader Evan Jager of the United States third.


Kipruto appeared to be under pressure from Elbakkali going to the last obstacle but once over it the Olympic champion cupped his hand to his ear and pounded his chest.
Makwala cleared to run in 200 metres after IAAF U-turn
BOTSWANA sprinter Isaac Makwala has been cleared to run in the men’s 200 metres at the World Athletics Championships in a dramatic about turn by the global athletics body (IAAF) which had previously barred him for medical reasons.


Makwala was prevented from running in Monday’s opening 200 metres heat and Tuesday’s 400m final after falling victim to an outbreak of sickness that has hit scores of competitors.


The 30-year-old, seen as a leading contender in both events, had insisted he was fit enough to race while the governing International Association of Athletics Federations had said that he had an infectious disease and needed to be quarantined.


But on Wednesday the IAAF said the quarantine period had ended and Makwala could run in the semi-finals in the evening—provided he first achieved the qualifying time of 20.53 seconds in an individual time trial before the main session.


“Given his quarantine period expired at 14:00 hrs on Wednesday and following a medical examination which has declared him fit to compete, we have agreed under our existing rules that assuming he makes the qualification time, he will run in the 200m semi-final round this evening,” said the IAAF statement.