Inferno guts goods worth lakhs

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 12 Aug 2017 10:44:08


 

Staff Reporter,

Over two dozen cylinders exploded in the incident

The fire was so intense that it melted big iron structure of the godown and articles kept reduced to ashes

SERIES of explosions of LPG cylinders shook the city on Thursday night. Thunderous noise of continuous blasts made people rise from deep slumber at midnight. Initially, people thought they was fireworks during some marriage ceremony or any other function. But when the series of explosions continued for almost 30 minutes it triggered panic amongst people. After sometime, they knew through social media that a tent house near Sharda Chowk had caught fire and LPG cylinders were exploding. After getting information people in large numbers gathered near the site. In the incident, colossal stock of floor matting, plastic chairs, curtains, tables, furniture and articles used in decoration during marriage and other ceremonies worth lakhs gutted in fire that broke out at a tent house-cum-godown near Sharda Chowk.


Moreover, the civic body sought help of Defence establishments in dousing the devastating fire. Spokesman of Fire Department of Jabalpur Municipal Corporation informed that Pawan Gupta runs Pawan Caterers and also has a godown near Sharda Chowk behind a petrol pump. At about 2.30 am, the godown caught fire. Some passers-by saw fumes billowing from the godown of tent house. They informed it to the Fire Department. Within few minutes of the incident thick fumes along with sky-high flames started billowing out of the tent house. But, the fire became fierce when the flames reached the stock of LPG cylinders which shook the area. Over two dozen cylinders exploded in the incident.


The fire was so intense that it melted big iron structure of the godown and the articles kept reduced to ashes. The firefighters had to toil hard for five hours to douse the fire. They had to press into action as many as nine
fire tenders and six tankers to douse the fire. Thick fumes could be seen from far flung areas of the city. The incident created panic in the entire area.

People out of curiosity rushed to the spot. Police force of adjoining police stations also reached the spot to control the situation. Senior administrative and police officials also reached the site. Within some time as many as nine fire tenders of JMC reached the site one after another and started dousing the fire amidst explosions. Electricity Department had snapped power supply to the area. As per information it took almost five hours to douse the fire and control the situation but by the time plastic chairs, curtains, matting, furniture and colossal stock of other allied items worth lakhs had reduced to ashes.

Exact loss of property and reason behind the incident could not be known yet. Meanwhile, the administration and police have started investigations and are busy finding out how come such a huge number of LPG cylinders were kept in the godown.