Militants’ bid to enter CRPF camp foiled

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 13 Feb 2018 08:50:00



A paramilitary jawan was martyred during the operation

Alert CRPF sentry averts what could have been a suicide attack on the CRPF camp

Ultras holed up inside an abandoned house; fierce fighting still continues

LeT claims responsibility for the attack

FIERCE fighting continued between militants and security forces in the heart of Srinagar on Monday after a foiled attack on a CRPF camp left a trooper dead and a policeman critically injured. The LeT claimed responsibility for the attack. As darkness enveloped the Karan Nagar area, where the ultras holed up inside an abandoned house, loud explosions and the rattle of automatic gunfire could be intermittently heard, officials and residents said.

The site is barely 300 metres from the SMHS Hospital from where Pakistani LeT militant Naveed Jat alias Abu Hunzullah escaped on February 6 after two policemen were killed.
Police said residents in the vicinity had been evacuated to safety. Internet services were suspended in the area.
A caller identifying himself as Mehmood Shah of the Lashkar-e-Toiba telephoned a local news agency owning responsibility for the attack on the headquarters of the 23 battalion of the Central Reserve Police Force.

Jammu and Kashmir police chief S P Vaid congratulated the “alert CRPF sentry” for averting what could have been a suicide attack on the CRPF camp. “Fortunately two terrorists are in cordon and exchange of fire going on.” Trouble began around 4.30 am when two militants were spotted by a sentry at the observation post. As he opened fire, the militants fled.

Searches in the area revealed that the militants, carrying backpacks and AK-47 rifles, had taken shelter in a building near the CRPF camp which was then surrounded.
When the holed up militants were challenged, they fired at the security forces, triggering a gunfight that left a trooper dead and a member of the Special Operations Group (SOG) of the Jammu and Kashmir Police critically injured.
The attempted attack on the CRPF camp comes two days after militants stormed an Army camp at Sunjuwan in Jammu, killing five soldiers and a civilian.

At least three terrorists were also slain. J&K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti pitched afresh for a dialogue between India and Pakistan to end the violence in the restive state. The Chief Minister also hit out at some media houses, which, she claimed, have created an atmosphere in which the very talk of talks was considered anti-national.

“If Farooq Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti say hold talks with Pakistan, they are dubbed anti-national. There is no alternative (to resolve the issue) except by holding talks,” Mehbooba told the state Assembly in Jammu on the concluding day of the budget session. “If we (the Kashmiris) don’t talk about it (dialogue), who will? Not a Bihari, not a punjabi,” she said.