Major fire at Law College Square, material worth lakhs gutted

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 13 Mar 2018 09:20:08


Staff Reporter,

QUICK response by Fire Brigade personnel averted a major tragedy when fire broke out on the fourth floor of J P Complex at Law College in the small hours of Monday.
Firefighters led by Chief Fire Officer Rajendra Uchke prevented the fire from spreading from an upcoming restaurant -- Agent Jack -- on the fourth floor of six storeyed building. However, six refrigerators, air-conditioners, plaster of Paris ceiling, more than 22 chairs, and other furniture collectively worth lakhs of rupees were gutted. No casualty has been reported.

Fire broke out at the up-coming restaurant owned by Pawan Subhash Nirban around 2.10 am. The building also houses Aakash Institute.

Suddenly, it engulfed the entire floor. Soon after receiving information about the incident, a team of firefighters from Fire & Emergency Services Department of Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) rushed to the spot. Flames and smoke were billowing out from the building. The team quickly started dousing the flames. A total of 14 fire tenders were pressed into service. Chief Fire Officer Uchke also reached the spot to supervise the firefighting operation. Staff from Sitabuldi Police Station also reached the spot.

After combating with the infero for about one-and-a-half hours, the firefighters extinguished the fire completely. The exact cause behind the fire could not be acertained so far.