Change course of study if necessary

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 18 Mar 2018 08:52:53



Consulting Psychologist



I am a student of MBA-Integrated course. I couldn’t get admitted to any Engineering college after my Class XII, not that I wanted to study it. I wanted to explore other options like BSc or BCA. But the admissions were closed. In the first year, MBA course was interesting. But I don’t like it anymore. I have not interest in it and with each semester, the course is getting too boring and difficult for me. I feel sad and frustrated to go to the college each day and want to drop out. But my parents won't allow, as I would lose two years of my life. But, I genuinely don't want my next 3 years to go like this.

Ans. You should drop out and join a course of your preference. There is no point in spending another three years trying to complete a course you dislike and have no use in future. If you are certain that this is not your line of course you should be brave enough to leave it. However the important thing to ponder over is to know and decide the future course of action. If you are uncertain about your future preferences than it is wise to first be sure what you want with hundred percent certainty and then leave your seat. An aptitude test along with career guidance will help you and your parents be sure of your career profile and degree accordingly. It is important to convince your parents too about the wisdom of doing what you want to do and achieve. It cannot be a play of whims and fancy. It has to be on firm ground and reasoning. Let us help you with career guidance. And bring your parents too.

 V M

I am student of Class 12. I like studying human behaviour and I would like to make my career in Psychology. Actually, I am confused whether to go for BA or BSc. Please tell me what should I do and colleges providing courses.

Ans. I am happy to know that you want to pursue psychology as a career. It is a wonderful career line but there are many branches and you must be clear what exactly you want to become. The degree in arts or science does not make much difference in psychology but the line to be pursued after graduation is important to know and decide. Whether you want to practice or teach and in what area of specialisation is important to decide. All the information is impossible to provide in this column. A face to face session will be more useful in helping you decide your career line by knowing your goals and aims in doing psychology.

 S A

I am a working woman and have a son who is young. I live with my parents. My parents are anxious that I get married again. I’m worried about my son. Will he miss his father and is it necessary that I marry for him? I’m not too keen on getting married. I have lost trust in men and marriage. Please tell me best for me and how should I answer people.

Ans.  A child is always happy with a set of parents- a mother and father as they bring different set of qualities –the masculine and feminine traits and outlook towards life. But it is equally important to know that an unhappy home is not an ideal place for a child to grow and develop into a healthy adult. Friction, fighting and strife and violence if any is more harmful than a single parent that is happy and settled in mind. You must first think if you are a good mother with few emotional needs and with a happy disposition. You live with parents and do they provide the sense of security and happiness to your child. You may have a male member in the house who may substitute for a father image or figure and if that figure is a healthy happy one, the child does not need more. A child can be well adjusted in any home where there is an atmosphere of love, security, activity and care. He does not need anything more. Do not marry out of a feeling of insecurity and anxiety for your son. Marry for good reasons for companionship and compatibility and to be happy.


(The columnist can be contacted at B/301, Shat -Tarka Aptts, Surendra Nagar, R.P.T.S Road, Nagpur, or on 9156582334, 2220250, 2223322. She can also be reached at [email protected] and can be visited at