FIR filed against BJP MLA in Unnao gangrape case

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 13 Apr 2018 08:52:41

 


 

LUCKNOW,

THE police in Uttar Pradesh on Thursday registered an FIR against BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar in connection with the alleged gangrape of a minor girl in Unnao, hours after the Government said it would hand the probe over to the CBI.
Till the premier investigating agency takes over, the local police would continue with the probe, but a decision on whether the accused MLA from the ruling party would be arrested would be taken by the CBI, Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Kumar said.


A letter for handing the probe over to the CBI for maintaining total transparency in the case would be sent to the Home Department, he told reporters here. The Unnao police earlier on Thursday registered the case against Sengar under various sections of the IPC and provisions of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act in the Makhi police station area.
Under POCSO, an accused has to be arrested immediately after a case been filed.


The FIR has been registered under Sections 376 (rape), 366 (kidnapping, abducting or inducing a woman to compel her into marriage), 363 (kidnapping) and 506 (criminal intimidation).
Principal Secretary (Information) Avanish Awasthi had said in an statement late last night that an FIR would be lodged under appropriate sections against Sengar and others and the investigation would be handed over to CBI.


To a volley of questions on whether Sengar would be arrested now that a case had been registered, Kumar said the CBI would take a decision on this depending on the merit of the case after investigations. The principal secretary (Home) and State Director General of Police (DGP) O P Singh said the MLA had not been named in the statement given before the magistrate earlier as the minor had said she feared for her life.


Kumar also dismissed allegations that police was trying to shield the MLA, and said it was because of these charges that the probe was being given to the CBI.
The Government has also decided to extend security to the family of the 17-year-old girl, the DGP said.

He said no one found guilty would be spared and added that action had already been taken against some policemen and doctors for laxity and negligence.
Two doctors have been suspended and disciplinary proceedings initiated against three others for laxity in providing the victim’s father with proper medical care and treatment prior to his judicial custody and at the district hospital, Kumar said.
Safipur Circle Officer Kunwar Bahadur Singh was also suspended for negligence in handling the victim’s repeated complaints, he said.