Massive fire at Mansarovar complex, none hurt

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 31 May 2018 10:39:07


 

Staff Reporter

IT WAS a lucky escape for hundreds of people present at Mansarovar shopping complex near Habibganj Railway Station after cables caught fire due to short circuit and fire broke out in A-block of the complex on Wednesday afternoon. The incident led to traffic jam like situation on both sides of the main road in front of the complex. The complex houses a number of showrooms and offices due to which thousands of people, including employees and visitors, were present when the fire broke out. Shopkeepers and people in the complex were moved out as the fire was spreading. Fortunately, no one was injured and no casualty was reported in the incident.
The complex was filled with thick black smoke billowing from cable wires which caught fire at around 04:30 pm. Fire tender vehicles managed to control and pacify the fire before it could spread and cause severe damage. According to sources, fire broke out due to short circuit in the cable line which is connected to power supply line of the complex. However, few claim that someone threw a matchstick from a tea stall located on the second floor of the block. Cables at one of the stair cases were also engulfed in fire and later doused by firefighters.


Cable wires lie alongside the block located near the entrance gate of RTO office and are tied from the roof and once the bottom caught fire, the wire started burning and fire reached top portion of the complex. Security guard of the complex informed the Fire Department about the fire. Teams of Bhopal
Municipal Corporation (BMC) reached the spot after receiving the information. As many as five fire tenders were rushed to the spot and they battled for an hour to douse the fire. Power supply of the building was suspended due to the incident as power cables were gutted. Glasses of showrooms near the spot had started breaking due to intense heat due to flames. BMC officials also broke glasses of one of the showrooms as smog had prevailed in the entire building. The complex had witnessed a massive fire in 2017 and at that time nothing regarding the handling of emergency situation of fire were present which resulted in massive loss.