NMC’s Public Transport registers Rs 67 cr loss

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 09 May 2018 09:56:02


 

Special Correspondent,

Transport Deptt projects Rs 241 cr revenue

Transport Department of cash strapped Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) has suffered a huge loss of Rs 67 crore during last financial year 2017-2018. The civic body has generated revenue of Rs 61.23 crore from all the sources while the total expenditure of last financial year is Rs 127.68 crore.


Transport Manager Shivajirao Jagtap presented budget of the department to Transport Committee Chairman Bunty Kukde on Tuesday during a meeting. He has projected revenue of Rs 241.94 crore in new financial year while the expenditure has been pegged at Rs 241.25 crore. The Department has opened a City Transport Fund to manage system while it has also opened a Revenue Reserve Fund and Transport Improvement Fund. Bunty Kukde will modify the proposed budget and will submit it to Standing Committee for final approval. Kukde may present his budget on May 18.


Presently, the Transport Department is operating 375 buses in the city including 200 standard diesel buses, 150 new midi buses and 25 green buses. Around 44 lakh passengers are commuting every month using these buses. Jagtap while addressing a press conference said, NMC has sent a proposal to Heavy Industries Ministry to provide 70 AC electric buses. The Ministry will give Rs 105 crore for purchase of buses and Rs 15 crore for the charging stations. The 70 percent amount will be shared by Central Government while remaining 30 percent amount will be contributed by the local body. The department has also sanctioned Request for Proposal (RfP) to deploy 25 bio-diesel buses for the city. These buses will use methane gas generated from sewage treatment plant situated in Bhandewadi.


Department is making loss of Rs 14 crore in issuing students passes. NMC is giving 67 percent concession to the students and earned Rs 7 crore. The civic body is also extending 50 percent concession to senior citizens and 70 per cent concession to Divyang. These soaps will continue in current fiscal as well, Jagtap added. Department has sought financial assistance of Rs 108 crore for the smooth operations of the city buses and also requested to open escrow account for easy payment of the operators.
NMC is planning to deploy total 55 green buses, 236 diesel buses, 150 midi buses and Tejaswini Buses dedicated for women passengers only.


The civic body will issue common mobility card useful for the Nagpur Metro Rail as well as for the public transport from this financial year. NMC is working hard to develop state-of-the-art Mor Bhavan bus stand for joint operation of buses of Aapli Buses and Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC).


Department is planning to develop parking places for two-wheelers and four-wheelers in the city to generate income for cross subsidy to the public transport system.
It also mulling a proposal to give advertisement rights at bus stops and buses to private operators to generate good revenue. Very soon, all the buses will be having GPS system and CCTV to keep watch on the conductors and passengers.

 

Green Buses loss Rs one cr per month

NMC has deployed 25 green buses in the city and the total revenue loss from these buses is whopping Rs one crore very month. These buses travelled around 1.40 lakh kms in the month of April 2018. The buses carried 72,185 passengers in entire month that means every bus carried only 93 passengers per day. The NMC is paying Rs 85 per km to the bus operator Scania company. Total payment of 1.40 lakh kms is Rs 1.19 crore while earning is paltry Rs 18.46 lakh in April. The department has sustained loss of Rs one crore in one month. The average loss is Rs 12 crore per annum. NMC has levied penalty of Rs 64.78 lakh to DIMS and total Rs 1.35 crore to all 7 operators.