CM assures to sort out issue of 70:30 regional quota for med admission

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 10 Jul 2018 10:02:43


 

Staff Reporter,

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Monday assured the State Assembly that the issue of 70:30 regional quota for medical admission would soon be sorted out and promised that the State Government would take all possible measures to ensure that there was no injustice to meritorious students.


Citing statistics, Chief Minister noted that the regional quota of 70:30 has benefited the students of all regions and more so that of Marathwada specifically. Therefore, he urged members from Marathwada to dispassionately think over it before demanding its scrapping. He readily agreed to convene all party meeting in Speaker’s chamber to discuss the vexed issue.


Through regional quota, 70 per cent of seats in Medical Colleges in that region are reserved for local students. The remaining 30 per cent quota is for students from Rest of Maharashtra and All India Quota. This is time tested policy which withstood judicial scrutiny many a times once again came under fore from Marathwada leislators who sought its review.


The matter figured during question hour wherein D P Sawant of Congress alleged that students from Marathwada have been at receiving end. Citing example he said while Marathwada has six medical colleges, Vidarbha has nine and Rest of Maharashtra has 23 colleges. A student from Marathwada despite securing 555 marks does not get admission in KEM while a student from Pune region with 550 marks makes it to final admission list. This is injustice against students and hence the contentious policy of 70-30 needs to be reviewed, he demanded.


Chief Minister replying to a querry from Sunil Prabhu of Shiv Sena said it is not possible to by-pass NEET as it is framed by Supreme Court. To a claim by Sudhakar Deshmukh of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) that OBC reservation has been brought down from 27 to 2 per cent in Medical admission, Fadnavis strongly denied the suggestion and said if anybody can prove it we are ready to scrap entire admission process and conduct it afresh. Rajesh Tope and Chandradeep Narke also participated in the discussion.