Depression needs to be addressed

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 08 Jul 2018 11:15:30




Q. I don’t have confidence left in myself and I sleep at 3 am everyday, no matter how early I go to bed. I can’t open up in front of my friends and cannot speak up to teachers to clear my doubts. I'm afraid of them no matter how polite they are. I can't listen to music as someone who was like my elder brother died a few months ago, and he was a fan of singing. Whenever someone mentions his name or music I start to cry and remain depressed all day. I haven’t been able to overcome that incident and it is now affecting my studies as well. Do I need counselling?

Ans. Yes, counselling can help you overcome the grief of a lost one. It takes a long time if you let it be unaddressed but you recover sooner when you share it and learn the methods of handling grief. The loss of a close relative is huge and impacts the mind negatively. What you are going through is natural and happens to everyone but you must try for faster recovery for it is impacting your studies as well as your social relations. Your sleep is already disturbed and this cycle needs to be modified. Please come for a few sessions of counselling- you will begin to feel better. P R (Raipur)

Q. My son is showing behaviour problems since last six months. We tried medicines, but it didn’t help much. He says that no one understands me and starts to cry. He is reluctant to go to college and stays home all day. He also fights with his younger sister and says we love her more. We love him dearly and are worried about him. This is affecting health of my wife. She is a sensitive lady and I am trying hard to handle my job and my family.We stay at Raipur, but are willing to come to Nagpur if need be.

Ans. Yes, we can help him with counselling. At times when medicines become necessary it is equally important to start counselling too along-with the medicines. Please continue the medicines and bring him to us. Once we have a face to face we could continue the rest of the follow-up sessions on phone counselling. We regularly offer telecounselling services to out-station people and people living abroad. Your wife may need counselling too as she is affected by the state of your son. Please assure her that things will be fine and he will be back to normal soon enough. Take care of your mind as you are the only care-giver it seems. Please call us for an appointment soon. R R

Q. I am studying in Class X. I was a good student till Std VIII, and my problems began a year ago from Std XI. There was a boy who would stare at me all the time and make me nervous. I told my friends as it was disturbing me. My friends misguided me by saying that he likes me and I should talk to him. My friends started teasing me about him and it disturbed me even more. Once they pushed me to say hello to him and though I am a very shy person. but still I did say hello to him. He laughed on my face and ran away! I felt very insulted and had a fight with my friends over this. My friends have stopped talking to me and that idiot also ran away and now I am totally lost. I’ve lost interest in studies and in meeting people or doing anything. Please help me madam as I going mad?

Ans. No, you are not going mad and are perfectly alright and it is nice of you to write to us your problem. Sharing and talking about a problem makes resolution faster. I agree that you should have shared it with your mother or teacher who would have guided you properly. Your immature friends enjoyed the show at your expense and rightly said misguided you. You felt confused, insulted, humiliated, and faced a situation where your felt rejected. The boy was only playing a game with you and sometimes these boys get into bets with other boys and play pranks on girls and others. You were a victim of just one such prank. Keep your emotions in check, try to accept the fact that you were the target of a bad joke and now it is over. Make new friends and forget the ones who acted against you. Focus on your final board exams and do well in them and show them your calibre. I wish you all the best. Come for counselling if the problem persist















(Consulting Psychologist) Depression needs to be addressed The columnist can be reached at B/301, Shat -Tarka Aptts, Surendra Nagar, R.P.T.S Road, Nagpur, or on 9156582334, 2220250 and 2223322. She can also be reached at [email protected] and can be visited at