10 stalls gutted at expo venue in Bittan Market

Source: The Hitavada      Date: 08 Sep 2018 13:32:16


Firefighters dousing the fire in an exhibition venue in Bittan Market, Dussehra Maidan. 

Staff Reporter,

VALUABLES worth several lakhs were reduced to ashes after a major fire broke out in an exhibition event in Bittan Market, Dussehra Maidan of Habibganj area late on Friday night. Exact cause of fire is being ascertained and further details are awaited. BMC said short circuit could be the cause of fire. Fortunately, no casualty was reported in the incident and no one was injured in the incident.

An exhibition of Institute of Indian Interior Designers was scheduled from Friday evening on Dussehra ground hence the tents were erected while stalls of several other companies related to interior designing were also put up. Over 10 stalls of different organisations were inside the dome which was reduced to ashes in no time. The fire was so intense that they were visible from Veer Savarkar Setu and far flung areas. However, no casualty was reported from the site as the fire could not reach other domes in the area. Short circuit is said to be the cause of fire, while the exact reason will be ascertained during further investigation.

Timely action of firefighters of Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC) averted a major tragedy. The massive fire broke out at around 12:30 pm. Around 12 firefighters of BMC doused the fire before it could reach other domes and nearby fuel station. The ground was covered with tents for an exhibition that was to start on Friday for which three domes were constructed with tents and each one had over 10 stalls.

The fire broke out in only one dome, while two other tents were saved before the fire could reach there. The venue was not equipped with fire safety arrangements, even when the exhibition was to start from Friday. City Superintendent of Police (CSP) Habibganj Bhupendra Singh, when contacted, said that loss in fire incident is estimated to be between Rs 50 lakh and 1 crore.


 

Over 10 stalls of different companies related to interior designing reduced to ashes in the incident.